City of Water Day 2011, well, post- for much of the kayaking community. If you were heading south on the Hudson to reach Governors Island and did not want to fight the flood current you could either get up around 0200 (2 a.m.) to catch the 0446 ebb current or you had to wait until late afternoon. CWD was not picked w/kayakers in mind this year. And the number of boats appeared significantly lower than last year. Though last year was evidently a miserable experience for those that participated. A 100 degree F day followed by a downpour that night. I already had too much gear so I left my digital SLR at home this trip and traveled w/only my iPhone in its Otterbox and it was pretty rough on the water so it stayed there. There happened to be a Yonkers Canoe Club kayaker Manhattan circumnavigation Saturday that coincided w/CWD. While I prepared my boat at 59th Street a parade of little groups of kayakers were heading south escorted by a couple of power boats. I thought this was a contingent headed to Gov. Island.
Sunday, July 17, 2011
Camping on Governors Island, New York Harbor
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment